Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Lunch Alien

I stare around the room at all the faces that do not even notice that I’m here. My eyes shy back to the ground where they meet all the trash and guck that is plastered to the floor. Do we even have a janitor? I hear the cheerful voices all around me sounding as if each moment they are on the brink of laughter, laughter that I long for. My table is empty all the kids sit at every other table but mine. The chairs all around the lunchroom from the rears of playful children, but the chairs at my table still look brand new. Suddenly the room is filled with laughter I look up and all the faces are looking at me. The class clown is playing behind my back foolish of me to think that they would have noticed me for a change. The yellow walls are not as welcoming as they should be everything about this room should be welcoming but not for me. I have been an outcast ever since the dreadful day when my father took my mother away from me forever. But how can i be blamed for that my life is unfair my mother is taken away from me followed by my friends. My grandmother tries to soothes the loneliness by setting up meetings with my cousins. They are often painful and my cousins treat me with a cold shoulder as well as if it were my fault. I wonder if its the scar that was left after i stepped in between my mother and the knife my dad was slashing at her. It was on my right cheek my granny says it gave me character she says that I would always have a story to tell, but no one in the lunch room wanted to talk about my scar. This scar on my right cheek repelled all the friends that I could have it reminded them of that awful day. But they don't know what it reminds me of if only they were in my shoes and had to look at this scar and have flash backs of my own and my mothers blood all over my once peaceful home. I have nightmares every night about that horrific day when i became the lunch alien.

1 comment:

  1. This is excellent storytelling Keondra! I want more!!!

    ReplyDelete